This page collects the articles dedicated to procedures such as the BVR Timeline and the Intercept Geometry. Although at this stage the point of view is usually the F-14, most of the discussed topics can be applied to different aircraft from different eras.
Later, this page will be expanded to include different topics, such as Air to Ground and Airfield / Carrier operations.
Air to Air Procedures
One of the first discussions about procedures, this overview of the BVR Timeline extrapolates the concept from the Geometry, making it a semi stand-alone construct (or at least that was the idea), more flexible and suitable for different types of players.
F-14: Within Visual Range
A series paused at the moment, in order to complete the work on the BVR Engagements started with the Timeline.
Originated by a sort of “challenge” to find a simple way to apply basic geometry to improve the experience of new or less simulative players, this article and video cover the usage of Collision to improve closure and the missile performance compared to the ubiquitous Pure Pursuit too often used especially by new players.
The Intercept Geometry is a huge topic and completing the study of the basic declassified documentation has always been a priority. Due to the size of the discussion a lot of time and effort has gone into the understanding of the principles governing the geometry itself, not to mention how those concepts are presented by the avionics.
Geometry: Related Articles
These are part of the articles related to the Geometry (I did not include in this list the articles strictly related to the F-14):
- BVR, WVR & Intercept: Recurring Concepts (TA, ATA, Drift, Collision);
- Closure and Collision: TID “Hot” and “Cold” Sides;
- Determining Target Aspect: the BDHI;
- ΔV in non co-speed intercepts: Empirical Assessment.
Intercept Geometry: A Study
- Part I: Introduction;
- Part II: Definitions;
- Part III: Target Aspect & Lateral Separation;
- Part IV: Modern Gameplans [P-825/17];
- Part V: DT, CT, Timeline [P-825/17];
- Part VI: Modern Intercept Demo Videos [P-825/17];
- Part VII: 2000s Intercepts [P-825/02];
- Part VIII: Intercept Progression & Lead Collision [P-825/02];
- Part IX: “Unknown Procedures” & Fleet Conversions p1 [P-825/02];
- Part X: Fleet Conversions p2 & Advanced Intercepts [P-825/02].