This page collects the articles dedicated to procedures such as the BVR Timeline and the Intercept Geometry. Although at this stage the point of view is usually the F-14, most of the discussed topics can be applied to different aircraft from different eras.
Later, this page will be expanded to include different topics, such as Air to Ground and Airfield / Carrier operations.
Air to Air Procedures
BVR Timeline 2023: Video Series
This series updates and integrates the various articles you can find below, into a brief video series.
- Chapter 1: Introduction and Disclaimer • YouTube [05:31]
This introductory part of the new BVR Timeline series presents the chapters that compose it and clarifies the sources used.
- Chapter 2.1: Intercept Geometry: Basics • YouTube [14:57]
This Chapter is divided into two parts. This first part introduces the theory, and the concepts always involved in Air-to-Air combat.
- Chapter 2.2: Geometry Applications and Examples • YouTube [10:55]
Chapter 2.2 concludes the brief overview of elementary geometry showing a number of practical applications, starting from the basic understanding of the displays, to how the geometry can be manipulated to achieve the objective. Most importantly, it should show how easily this is done: eventually, all it will take is a glance at the display to predict how the engagement will evolve.
- Chapter 3: Controllers: Eyes of the Sky • YouTube [32:09]
This brief video broadly introduces the figure of the Controller, basic comms and lexicon, also using recordings from real life engagements (Gulf of Sidra 1981 and 1989, and a modern exercise).
- Chapter 4.1: Timeline Overview & Radars • YouTube [09:05]
This Chapter proposes a first glance and what a Timeline is, and what it does. Part I also includes a brief mention of radars, how they are used, the appropriate modes and differences.
- Chapter 4.2: Crew Comms, Contract, Definitions • YouTube [10:38]
A last round of concepts before diving into the details of the Timeline: cranking, notching, crew comms and more.
- Chapter 5: From Departure to FOX-3 • YouTube [25:04]
After a lengthy introduction, we finally get to shoot something!
This Chapter covers the details of the engagement flow, starting from the ground post startup, to taxi and departure. Then, every step of the Timeline is discussed, detailing comms, using real recordings as well, and the reasoning behind the process.
Simplified BVR Timeline
One of the first discussions about procedures, this simplified overview of the BVR Timeline extrapolates the concept from the Geometry, making it a semi stand-alone construct (or at least that was the idea), more flexible and suitable for different types of players.
F-14: Within Visual Range
A series paused at the moment, in order to complete the work on the BVR Engagements started with the Timeline.
Originated by a sort of “challenge” to find a simple way to apply basic geometry to improve the experience of new or less simulative players, this article and video cover the usage of Collision to improve closure and the missile performance compared to the ubiquitous Pure Pursuit too often used, especially by new players.
The Simplified Stern Conversion completes the series, going slightly deeper but without requiring extensive knowledge of the Intercept Geometry.
The Intercept Geometry is a huge topic and completing the study of the basic declassified documentation has always been a priority. Due to the size of the discussion, a lot of time and effort has gone into the understanding of the principles governing the geometry itself, not to mention how those concepts are presented by the avionics.
Geometry: Related Articles
These are part of the articles related to the Geometry (I did not include in this list the articles strictly related to the F-14):
- BVR, WVR & Intercept: Recurring Concepts (TA, ATA, Drift, Collision);
- Closure and Collision: TID “Hot” and “Cold” Sides;
- Determining Target Aspect: the BDHI;
- ΔV in non co-speed intercepts: Empirical Assessment.
Intercept Geometry: A Study
- Part I: Introduction;
- Part II: Definitions;
- Part III: Target Aspect & Lateral Separation;
- Part IV: Modern Gameplans [P-825/17];
- Part V: DT, CT, Timeline [P-825/17];
- Part VI: Modern Intercept Demo Videos [P-825/17];
- Part VII: 2000s Intercepts [P-825/02];
- Part VIII: Intercept Progression & Lead Collision [P-825/02];
- Part IX: “Unknown Procedures” & Fleet Conversions p1 [P-825/02];
- Part X: Fleet Conversions p2 & Advanced Intercepts [P-825/02];
- Part XII: In-Depth Timeline (from “Picture” to “Crank”);
- Part XIII: In-Depth Timeline (continuation: FOX 3/1/2);
- Part XIV : Crews’ take on Timelines for DCS